Access Independence, Inc. (Ai) is a nonprofit, consumer-controlled organization whose mission is to promote independent living by providing services that enhance the quality of life for people with disabilities living in Virginia’s Northern Shenandoah Valley. Ai is located in Winchester and serves the surrounding five counties as a Center for Independent Living. As one of seventeen centers located across the state, Ai provides advocacy and independent living services to individuals with a wide variety of disabilities. Ai is currently seeking an Assistant Executive Director to join our team. Please review the position details and see the section labeled Application Instructions for more information. Ai is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ASSISTANT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (AED)
Full-Time Exempt Position
Reports to Executive Director (ED)
The Assistant Executive Director (AED) will report to and work closely with the Executive Director.
The AED is responsible for managing the organization’s human, financial, and social resources.
The AED will also assist in managing the accounting, operations, program, and personnel functions of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To attend required staff and other meetings.
- To successfully complete a six-month introductory period.
- To maintain a level of professionalism and confidentiality, as stated in the Employee Policies and Procedures Section of Access Independence, Inc.’s Policies and Procedures Manual.
- To manage budgetary and other financial issues relevant to the organization.
- To plan and promote activities and special events.
- To delegate tasks to employees.
- To report to the ED with any issues, problems, updates, or questions.
- To assist and manage the accounting, operations, personnel, and program functions of the organization:
- Review program services on an ongoing basis, and assist in the development of new and ongoing programs.
- Identify and assist in the implementation of organizational best practices.
- Create ongoing opportunities for staff members to provide feedback on program operations and review operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Inform the ED of program issues, changes, and accomplishments.
- Manage program aspects of the annual budget in concert with the ED, Accounting/Operations Supervisor, Independent Living Coordinator, and the Service Facilitation Supervisor.
- Assist the ED in managing Human Resources, including employee evaluations, policies, and legal compliance.
- Provide input to the ED for strategic planning.
- To provide leadership and maintain community partnerships:
- Strengthen relationship with other organizations to improve service delivery to consumers.
- Serve on community committees and boards as directed by the ED.
- To assist the ED in providing support and guidance to the Board of Directors, and serve as staff liaison on relevant board subcommittees.
- To represent the organization at private and public functions.
- To compile or prepare data for contracts and other databases.
- To perform other duties and participate in trainings, as assigned.
- Passion for Ai’s mission and ability to articulate its philosophy, values, and practices to internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrate interest in disability issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services, or other related field
- Management experience with nonprofit organizations or Centers for Independent Living (CIL’s) preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Team player with excellent people skills and the capacity to engage in critical thinking, analysis of programs and service delivery.
- Adaptability to changes in the organization’s environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Windows.
- Possess strong time management and organizational skills.
- Must have the capability to travel.
Salary is commensurate with applicant’s experience, qualifications, and the organization’s budget.
Access Independence, Inc.
Assistant Executive Director Position
324 Hope Drive
Winchester, VA 22601