Increasing Financial Capability / Growing Consumers’ Personal Wealth
July 18, 2013 at 3:00 - 4:30 pm Eastern Time
Topic: Increasing Financial Capability / Growing Consumers’ Personal Wealth
Links mentioned in today’s Conversation:
- http://www.annualcreditreport.com (free credit report) Phone number 877.322.8228
- http://www.creditbuildersalliance.org (search “rent bureau” for renters’ info
- http://www.cfpb.gov (for tools Jackie mentioned available from Consumer Financial Protection Bureau)
Join us to:
• Learn about establishing banking relationships, avoidance of payday and predatory lenders, paying down debt and the value of a credit score.
• Hear how Individual Development Accounts (IDAs) can help people with low incomes save for high return investments in long-term assets and how the Earned Income Tax Credit applies to low income filers.
• Get access to home ownership and retirement planning strategies that help build stable, long-term wealth.
• Find out about the newly-created Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and its tools and resources aimed at helping individuals with disabilities increase their financial capability.
IL Conversations is a CIL-Net presentation hosted by APRIL in cooperation with ILRU and NCIL, and provides IL practitioners with an opportunity to talk with colleagues about the nuts and bolts of running a center for independent living and providing core and other services, as well as to address broader state and national issues impacting CILs, SILCs, and people with disabilities. Watch for our next IL Conversation Announcement! Different facilitators who are currently working in the field will join us to lead the discussion, answer questions and refer participants to additional resources.
IL Conversations originated with the University of Arkansas, CURRENTS.
This IL Conversation is presented by the CIL-NET (or SILC-NET as appropriate). The CIL-NET is operated by the Independent Living Research Utilization program at TIRR Memorial Hermann in partnership with the National Council on Independent Living and the Association of Programs for Rural Independent Living. Support for the presentation was provided by the U.S. Department of Education, Rehabilitation Services Administration. No official endorsement of the Department of Education should be inferred.
For more information, call:
Training and Technical Assistance
APRIL and the IL Net
390 Crepe Myrtle Drive
Greer, SC 29651